Activity: Value Exchange Ledger (Employee)
NB: The instructions on this page are an exact copy of the Instructions that come in a booklet with the Card Set.
People often say they want to work with, or for someone, where they feel valued. However, Value isn’t the same thing for everyone. What things are evidence that you are being valued? What is Valuable to you when it comes to the work you do?
In a work context it is easy to think of Money as the dominant value that you get in exchange for your work. In reality, there is a range of things that represent value to both parties. This activity provides a way for talking about different kinds of Value. For more on the idea of Value Exchange in workscapes.
Card Set (purchase from us)
Cards represent Value Elements from an Employee perspective.
ORANGE elements are for Value OUT – Value you seek created for yourself or returned to you.
BLUE elements are for Value IN – Value you own and have that you can provide or invest.
These instructions are for you to do this activity by yourself. If you’d like assistance in doing this activity, talk to us about a coaching session.
NB: The instructions in this page are an exact copy of the Instructions that come in a booklet with the Card Set.
A. Create ‘Desired’ Value Perspective
1. From Orange cards, chose 5-6 Value elements for what you want OUT of your workscape.
2. Use prompts below to explore OUT Value elements not in the cards. Write Value Element on a blank card.
Prompts for OUT
- I feel I’m getting Value for what I provide or invest when I get X in return.
- I would sacrifice Value, like Money and Time, if I could get X in return.
- When I’m disappointed and feel I’m not getting Value, what I’m not getting is actually X.
- When I choose to get involved with something, it’s because I hope that I’ll gain X Value.
3. For Value Elements in OUT column, place on ledger sorted from highest to lowest value to you.
4. From Blue cards, chose 5-6 Value elements for what you want to put IN to your workscape.
5. Use prompts below to explore IN Value elements not in the cards. Write Value element on blank card.
Prompts for IN
- I feel positive and energised when I can contribute X Value to my employer.
- When I believe that my employer is appreciating me, what they are getting from me is X Value.
- When I write an application or proposal to do work, I am pleased to say an employer can expect X Value from me.
6. For Value Elements in IN column, place on ledger sorted from highest to lowest value to you.
7. Capture a copy of this ledger, e.g. take a photo.
8. Look at this ledger and consider these questions:
- Is there a balance of the ledger across IN and OUT columns in what you desire? If not, what would you change?
- How much Value OUT do you want to get, for the Value you might put IN?
- How much Value IN do you want to put, for the Value you might get OUT?
B. Create ‘Current’ Value Perspective
Redo steps 1-7 for a second ledger to represent your current experience of Value exchanged.
Look at this ledger and consider these questions:
- Are you happy with current balance of the ledger across the IN and OUT columns? If not, what would you change?
- How much Value OUT are you actually getting, for the Value you put IN?
- How much Value IN are you putting in, for the Value you are getting OUT?
- What issues have arisen in your work situation that might result from an unbalanced ledger?
Compare Desired and Current Value Perspectives
- What is the difference between what you desire and your current experience?
- Are you actually getting the Value OUT that you desire (breadth and depth)?
- Are you actually putting the Value IN that you desire (breadth and depth)?
NB: You may do A. and B. in reverse order: Sometimes its good to start with the Current Perspective and see what you’d like to change. Particularly if there is a need to appreciate what you DO have working for you, before exploring what might not be working for you.
With a good understanding of your Value Perspectives you can take the next step to plan how you will create the value you seek (OUT) and how you will add value with the value you are willing to contribute (IN). See Activity: Value Creation Planning.
This content is released under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0 International licence so it can be freely shared with attribution to the creator (Questo); it cannot be used for commercial purposes; and it cannot be modified.